When you’re a creative person, hitting the lack of inspiration wall can seem like the end of the world. I know because I have been there sooo many times before and despite that, I still fear it when I sense it starting to occur.
I am however becoming more in tune with what I need to do to stay inspired now that I have a full – time career that relies on my ability to stay inspired and be creative.
I thought today I would share with you all the things I do to stay inspired.
1. Harness every opportunity to do something new. Adventure? Yes please!
2. Meet, chat and get to know new people from all walks of life.
3. I keep my friend zone positive. I no longer have anytime for toxic/negative energies.
4. I read. Prolifically. At the moment I am reading Charles Bukowski, who was a passive aggressive grumpy American author. Weird shit I tell you.
5. I am not naturally a person who asks questions, but these days I am finding I am asking more and more questions to learn new things and learning always sparks my inspiration.
6. I am obsessed with Instagram and search on random hashtags. Right now my fav is #typewriterpoetry. Wow.
7. Pinterest. And not only to find new things. Sometimes, I jump into my old boards and actually check out old pins properly.
8. I take photos. Lots of them. My iPhone is still my go to for most of my photo taking. At the end of the day, often a blog post comes out of just scrolling back through the images I took for the day and reflecting on the events.
9. I drink coffee. And I drink it anywhere. Just sitting down on a rug in the park, in bed after I wake up in the morning or at my favourite coffee shop. Just the action of having a warm cup of my favourite drink in my hand gets me inspired.
10. I run. It might be really slow and steady at times, but I run. And just that alone brings a clear creative mind.
11. I use Evernote as an electronic note pad and write as much as I can down into my ‘Inspired’ notebook. I used to use proper notepad, but as I work more and more online, Evernote just works.
12. I always have a bottle of water sitting with me to sip throughout the day. The quickest way I can send myself into a brain fog, is to not drink enough water.
13. When I am on a creative roll, I try to reshuffle my day to keep it going. Unless it’s essential I leave what i am doing to do something else, I push through. Even if that means packing up the kids and quickly heading outside or to the park with laptop in my bag.
15. I always have music playing while I work. All sorts of music from pop to country and alternative. Music makes my soul happy and when I am happy .. I am inspired.